Mar 31, 2009

Telephone Help-line Opperators Are Human Too...?

So, just today my media studies group and I were working on our "Ethnic Diversity in Television" project for our class. We were snacking on some "Little Debbie's Swiss Snack Rolls" (which are awesome, by the way). We were taking a little break from work and one of the group members (I won't say who) decided to prank call the "Little Debbie's Help-line". So, he called them and a guy picked up.

He asked the operator a stupid question, "I just ate 4 packages of your snack cakes, is that bad for me? Could I overdose?"

The operator responded, "You mean you just shoved them in your mouth?"

"Yeah, would you advise me not to do that?"

"Well, it is not my position to advise you what to do and what not to do."

Of course we all got a good kick out of the call, but it got me thinking: What does he mean "not his position to advise people what to do and what not to do?" I assume that he is referring to his occupational position, but he is still a human, he should be able to give advice on this subject. Obviously it wasn't a serious question but the operator has to keep in mind that there are some different people out there. Plus, it is part of a phone operators job description to advise customers accordingly. [1]

It was a ridiculous question and maybe the guy caught on to the joke, but he still should have given advice. I'm sure 4 packages of snack cakes would get you very sick, and probably wouldn't be too good for your liver either. I just don't understand why he wouldn't offer advice. It would seem like the reasonable thing to do. I mean, is it really something that his boss would get mad at him for? How far does the situation have to go before he can step out of his occupational title and act as a human being to help someone in need? I know this situation isn't a strong example of the problem. It would be very interesting to experiment to see if one could force a Help-line operator out of their occupational status in order to save a life. Though it would probably be unethical...and illegal.


References
[1] CV Library . Ed. CV-Library Inc. . 24/ 03/ 09. Visa. 31/ 03/ 09 <>

1 comment:

  1. It was an ignorant thing for that guy to have said. He's not in a position to advise anything? HE'S THE TELEPHONE HELP GUY!!!! What is he suppost to do then? Sit around and eat snack cakes all day?

    What is the world coming to? Said member could have died!

    ReplyDelete